“Yes or No?”
A Linguistic misunderstanding
By Sohyun Lee
When people come from different cultures, they often have problems
understanding each other. Sometimes, it causes misunderstandings and even
conflicts. Therefore, it is necessary to know about different cultures.
Why do these misunderstandings happen? We live on different continents
and places, use different languages and have different customs. Everything is
totally different. Of course, cultures are influenced other nearby cultures,
but North America and Asia are far apart. Specifically, as we use different
languages (e.g., Korean or English), it’s enough to make people confused.
When I talk on the phone with native English speakers, sometimes it can
be embarrassing because listening is really hard when I can’t see the person
I’m talking to.
Shortly after I came to Toronto, I found myself in an uneasy situation.
I was living in a ‘homestay’ and my homestay mom was in a café about to buy
doughnuts for her daughters, the other homestay student and me. She called me
at home to find out whether my fellow student was there or not.
She asked, “Is she home right now?” Suddenly, I was embarrassed, and I
had been taught about answering negative questions but still wasn’t sure, so I
replied, “No”.
I could tell from the silence on the other end of the phone that my
homestay mom was confused by my response. Therefore, we were both frustrated by
now and eventually, I said, “I mean, she is not
here now!”
Then, why are the responses in English and Korean different? What was
the problem in that situation?
But Koreans only care about the complete clause in the statement. For
example, if someone asks in the negative something like, “You don’t like it, right?” and then if you don’t like that,
you have to answer, “Yes” because the whole
statement is true. Likewise, if you do
like it, you say, “No”.
Such misunderstandings are common. Because we have different customs,
habits and languages. Sometimes, misunderstandings like the one above can just
be funny. However, if it had happened in a very important situation like a
conference, it could have been a really big problem.
So next time someone calls you on the phone and asks you a yes/no
question, don’t panic. Just say, “I’m not sure!”

No comments:
Post a Comment