Interview: From Fumbling to Fluent: Masahiro's Story (so far) - NOT ILSC

Latest

NOT ILSC

The English-through-Journalism BIG BAD BLOG

The viewpoints expressed in the following students' articles are not necessarily shared by ILSC Toronto or ILSC Education Group

Friday, October 9, 2009

Interview: From Fumbling to Fluent: Masahiro's Story (so far)

Introduction by Mark Dallas

Masahiro "Masa" Tani is a former student of ILSC Toronto and is well known by students and teachers alike, not just because of his gregarious personality, but also because of his perseverance and impressive rise from absolute beginner to fluent speaker of English after only a few years.

I assigned Gema Villela to interview him at ILSC.


By Gema Villela

Five years ago, Masahiro was a language student. Now he wants to get Canadian citizenship.

Raised in Japan, Masa is tall, skinny and has long hair tied back into a ponytail. On his hands you can see the marks of his work. He is modest and patient.

When Masa came to Toronto for the first time, he was 18 years old. His sister gave him the idea to study English in Canada, and when he did the test in the school, he was put into beginner level because he had never studied English in Japan.

“I never understood a word in the first few days, but I was happy because everybody was nice to me.

“In those days, I studied for 3 months and went back to Japan before Christmas, where I worked in a company for 3 months to make money to pay for another 5 months at ILSC. After that, I went back again to Japan.”

But then something changed inside his head. He said he became more ‘open minded’ and went on a backpacking trip around Korea, Thailand and India.

"On my journey, I started to write a journal in English. I wrote about my travels and the dreams I had for the future: coming back to Canada, for example."

He then joined the Japan Air Self-Defense Force and saved the money to return to Canada. In 2008 he came back to Toronto and he started to think about different ways to get a visa.

"First, I thought about getting married to a Canadian, but that would cost too much money. The second way would be to go to Alberta and work there for two years, but my Hapkido instructor told me not to go to Alberta and that I’d be better off working for him. So, I started to work in his Hapkido School, and I eventually got the visa."

Masa has his own concept of Toronto.

“This city is a small version of the world because of the mix of cultures.”

For that reason he likes living here.

Everybody has different plans, but his story can be an example for all students, because he didn't know any words in English.

I asked him what advice he would give to students learning English.

“Beginners should speak and listen as much as possible. Don’t be shy about making mistakes. Don’t speak your own language!

“Intermediates should try to think in English.”

I wondered how that was possible. He offered:

"All the time, we are thinking, and you must think in English. For example, say to yourself, ‘tomorrow I want to wake up earlier. I want to go with my friends.’ Try to read and write. Write a journal and schedule. That will help a lot.

“Advanced learners should try to make Canadian friends. Read and write in English. Everything can you read, even when you look stupid, but everything in English is good for you.

“All students have to be friendly and open-minded to speak with many people, and don't speak in your own language!”

He also recommended some places where you can meet Canadian people, such as East West Hapkido at 183 Geary Avenue and The Embassy British Pub in Kensington Market.


No comments:

Post a Comment